We have all heard that you only get one chance to make a great 1st impression. This also works when leaving a voice mail message.
Why am I writing about this in 2010 when by now everyone should know this? It’s obviously because people still leave unremarkable messages or messages that leave a lot to be desired (sounding like you’re sleeping at 9:00 am).
If you are looking for a sales job; expect that employers and recruiters will call. Answer the phone like the next call is the call for your dream job.
1. Look and sound alert.
2. Answer with a smile.
3. Don’t take that bite before picking up-you might just choke when you realize that it's the hiring manager that you’ve been waiting for.
4. Don’t ramble on in a voice mail.
5. If you are calling from a cell phone, leave your number twice-technology is not perfect.
6. Leave your name and number slowly.
7. Sound self-assured and happy.
8. Don’t be too friendly with someone you don’t yet know.
9. Don’t make assumptions-I always get called Mr Dawn because some people don’t know that Dawn is a woman’s name.
10. Put your personality into the call. It’s ok to be different but don’t cross the line.
Remember this is an opportunity to sell yourself.
#11 Perhaps not answer when the children are screaming and call back at a better time.